A delicious Asian salad, full of nutritious veg and protein rich tempeh. Tempeh is Japanese fermented soybeans. Packed full of probiotics, this is a form of soy that is safe and nutritious to eat.
Prepare: 30 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
- 200g organic tempeh (we like Impulse brand)
- 2 shallots
- ½ cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 chilli (removing the seeds decreases the heat)
- 4 radishes
- 1 lime
- ½ bunch fresh coriander
- 5 dried apricots
- 3tbsp flaked almonds or toasted coconut flakes
- 100g gluten-free vermicelli rice noodles or Thai rice noodles
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb ginger, grated
- 2tbsp honey or maple syrup if vegan
- 3tbsp gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
- 2tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- Make the marinade by mixing 1tbsp of the toasted sesame oil, half the soy sauce and the grated ginger.
- Slice the tempeh into 5mm thick slices and marinate in the mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the noodles in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water from a kettle and leave for 3-5 minutes until they are soft, but not mushy. Rinse in a sieve under cold water, then set aside.
- Prep the salad by finely slicing half the shallot and radish into rings, and finely dice the cucumber. Use a potato peeler or julienne peeler to cut the carrot into ribbons, then finely chop the apricots and chilli. Remove the coriander leaves from their stems.
- Toast the almonds or cashews by dry frying them until brown, then set aside.
- Make the salad dressing with the rest of the soy sauce and sesame oil, and the finely chopped garlic. Add the zest and juice from the lime. Add the dressing to the salad then add the noodles and toss the mixture together to combine all the ingredients.
- Heat the coconut oil and fry the rest of the shallot rings on a high heat until crispy and brown. Drain on some paper towel.
- In the same pan, fry the tempeh slices for 2 minutes on each side, until brown then add the honey to the pan and quickly heat through (about 30 seconds). Add the tempeh slices back to the pan and fry for another 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve the tempeh over the salad, top with the crispy shallots and toasted nuts.
Nutrition (per serving):
- 836 kCal
- 38g total fat
- 11g saturated fat
- 94g net carbs
- 30g protein
- 7g fibre