Making your own is easy!
Prepare: 5 minutes
- 1tbsp organic milk kefir grains
- 250ml/1 cup organic milk (raw milk is preferable)
- Purchase some organic kefir starter grains. Wash and sterilise a Kilner jar with a lid and a muslin cloth that can cover the top of the jar.
- Add the starter grains and the milk to the jar and leave the lid slightly open or cover with the muslin (a muslin in summer is a necessity as flies like kefir), to allow some air to circulate.
- Leave at room temperature for 24 – 48 hours, until the milk has thickened and separated, leaving a clear fluid on top.
- When you’re ready to drink the kefir, pour the mixture through a fine plastic sieve and collect the grains, which go back in the jar with more milk for the next day. The sieved liquid is your kefir. Drink on its own, or as part of our kefir smoothie.
- Repeat this process daily to keep your kefir grains alive and active.
If you are struggling with digestive symptoms, adding 2tsp of psyllium husk to your daily kefir can really help. Kefir can also be made using goats milk or tinned coconut milk, if you are extremely lactose intolerant.
If you are new to kefir, start with just a small amount daily, to avoid the possibility of bloating.